At least once in your lifetime, you’ll have to plan a quick, potluck style meal that everyone will enjoy. It might be an office birthday, a little league after-the-game snack, poker noshing food, maybe even dinner around a campfire, but one day you’ll be in charge and you’ll know what to do… WALKING TACOS!
It’s a taco in a little bag, I argued with fellow Texas food blogger, Trey Moran, of the Guys That Cook Blog.
It’s a frito pie — he argued.
A frito pie is a mess, I proclaimed… THIS is a symphony!
(Whatever it is, you decide.)
Both observations are kinda accurate, but you won’t have to deal with a hot bag of chili with my snack. 😀
You’re going to want to whip out this recipe when you need to assign everyone an ingredient, or serve a substantial snack with minimal preparation. Everything is prepared ahead of time and assembled community style.
A lot of walking taco recipes are made with taco meat, or picadillo, but I glammed this recipe up with a $14 pound of brisket. This made our tacos a little more gourmet and I didn’t have to turn on my stove!
(I mean, I like turning on my stove but sometimes the point is to just go forth and have tacos in unusual places.)
This glam party continues with a homemade, chipotle bacon crema. TA DA!!
It’s cool and refreshing with a whisper of smoke and a tingle of heat!
It’s super easy to make in a small food processor or blender…
I like the squeezie bottle for easy transportation of our walking taco prep as well.
The chips can be set out already assembled, or as a build your own walking taco buffet, then just grab a disposable fork cause these boots are made for walkin yall…
AND SO ARE THESE TACOS!
(Did you see what I did there? 😀 I’ve been waiting all day to drop that joke! 😀 )
Here is the recipe for the Brisket Walking Tacos with Chipotle Bacon Crema!
If you make the recipe, post it to social media and tag Urban Cowgirl!
I’d love to see how it turns out!
These brisket walking tacos are a dream for eating on the go. Whether you are serving a pack of little leaguers or sharing at the tailgate or a potluck, this tasty barbecue recipe is all that AND A BAG OF CHIPS!
- 1 lb. chopped brisket, from your favorite barbecue joint or homemade
- 12 little bags, doritos or corn chips
- ½ lb. grated colby cheese
- 1 c. cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 c. romaine lettuce, sliced thin
- Extra Fixins: Cilantro, pico de gallo, chopped pickled jalapenos, a jar of salsa verde or red salsa, red onion, etc.
- **Don’t forget the disposable forks and napkins!
- Chipotle Bacon Crema:
- 1 c. crema (can substitute sour cream)
- 1 T. liquid bacon fat
- 1 T. chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- ½ t. red wine vinegar
- ½ t. kosher salt
- For the Chipotle Bacon Crema: In a small food processor or blender, add all the ingredients and process until you have a pretty pink sauce. Place into a squeeze bottle for easier transport.
- For the Walking Tacos: Set up the ingredients like a buffet with the bags of chips, brisket with tongs, and all the fixins arranged so that everyone can make their own walking taco. Let diners prepare their own taco!! Drizzle the chipotle bacon crema on top.
Note: This meal is great for situations where everyone brings one ingredient in Tupperware with tongs. Meet up anywhere (park, work, little league game) and you’ve got a taco fiesta ready to go!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 466Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 820mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 22g
This nutritional information is provided as a courtesy as an estimate only. Consult with a dietician for precise estimates.